Thread: What to see at Film Fleadh 2012?

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Default What to see at Film Fleadh 2012?

I've booked tickets for a good few a screenings. Loads of shorts. Jump & Citadel features. I'm down from Thursday to Sunday. What else should I go see?

Thinking of going to the Real Deal or the Screenwriting masterclass/interview thing.

Going to the IPSG meet up Thursday(?) and the IFB free drinks do.

I'm going to check out Shamrocracy on Friday morning. Put together by some very funny guys from Dublin over the past couple of years - glad to see it's finally been finished.

http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/prog...rocracy&id=531

Writer
    Ireland-UK-France-Australia

If I were there I'd be seeing GRABBERS, written by "Blarneyman", once of this parish.

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Won't be down in time for Grabbers. I hear great things. Good to see FmN peeps hit the big time.
    Might check out Shamocracy. If I don't go to any of the other non film screening events on at the same time.

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

From what I can remember from the blur of the Town Hall Theatre, Radisson and Rowing Club I saw and liked the following films...

In shorts:
    Blonde directed by Allyn Quigley which was touching and excellently realised - as far as I know without any funding.
    All That Way for Love - very confident and classy short filmed and set in Sub-Saharan Africa. A very attractive film.
    Foxes - The IFB Signatures funded short directed by Lorcan Finnegan and written by Garret Shanley. Some brilliant imagery in this and the concept was haunting.
    Cathy Brady's pair of shorts Morning and Kiss both featured exceptional low-key acting performances and showcased the director enviable talent for delivering stories with intelligence. [BKiss[/B] also featured the best line of any film at the festival from the mouth of Thomas Turgoose - "That's a bit random init?" I won't spoil it by giving the context.
    Eyeline directed by Ryan Tohill and Andrew Tohill very effectively turned a quick cup of coffee in a café into a tense and terrifying experience. Really got into the point of view of the main character.
    No Messages from Cian McGarrigle was breezy and charming.

Unfortunately couldn't make it to the IFB shorts programme, the short docs, animations or a good few other shorts screenings in case you're wondering why I didn't mention any of those films.

Features-wise I really enjoyed both Citadel and Good Vibrations.
    Citadel is a proper movie. A proper scary movie. With a great lead actor. Playing an interesting character. Made with real skill. Go see it when it inevitably comes out in your local cinema.
    Good Vibrations was really entertaining, fast, fun and featured some great Ulster punk songs - some of which I hadn't heard before and have been listening to repeat on Youtube since.

Overall the standard of what I saw was excellent. The best film may or may not be better than the best from previous fests over the years but the number and standard of quality productions seemed to be higher. Not just "good for Irish film" but genuinely just very good cinema.