Thread: Vimeo

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Wink Vimeo

Are you sick of rubbish low quality streaming video?
    Want to show your work to it's best online?
    Tired of Youtube spam videos and offensive comments?
    Like to upload HD res video?

Well then you need Vimeo. Why use 10 different video hosts when Vimeo can do everything you want in one easy account.

* End of advert.

Just uploaded one of my videos up onto Vimeo and am more than pleased with the results:
    http://www.vimeo.com/707456

I like the design of the site and especially the picture quality of the video - you can upload HD footage too - nice!

Worth checking out if you looking for somewhere to host your stuff. That's all.
    Brightcove seem good too. Anyone else got any good sites for hosting video?

Vimeo... for all your web video needs.

Cool , Nice vid Jay !!

2 questions

1 Where was the white studio ?

2 I'd love to know how you set up the Z1 to deal with the Strobe light ?

Like it a lot ( bear in mind i have the sound off so I have know idea what the song is like ) animation works perfectly.
    www.egomotion.net

Creative

–adjective
    1. having the quality or power of creating.
    2. resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: creative writing.
    3. originative; productive (usually fol. by of).
    4. Facetious. using or creating exaggerated or skewed data, information, etc.: creative bookkeeping.

Consultant
    –noun
    1. a person who gives professional or expert advice: a consultant on business methods.
    2. a person who consults someone or something.

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

1. Ardmore Studio C - just asked very nicely - well Angela, the co-producer, did...

2. Nothing special. But I'd have to ask the DoP. Actually had 3 Z1s shooting at the same time - may have had different settings. The strobe was adjustable frequency-wise also and I twiddled with this as we shot.

I'm not going to comment about watching the video with the sound down but you aren't getting the full effect.

Nice video Jason. Never heard of the band or song though. Thats the saddest part. I found myself in that position 8 long years ago, good acts, cool videos, no sales or promo. Produced stuff that got onto Ireland AM and the Beat Box (remember that!!!). Heard afterwards that they were just big favours being called in. Felt sorry for the artists involved. Irish music biz, wha!

Anyway, gonna check out Vimeo right now.

Was better without the sound , sorry ... couldn't even force myself past the first chorus.

I am a harsh critic though
    www.egomotion.net

Creative

–adjective
    1. having the quality or power of creating.
    2. resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: creative writing.
    3. originative; productive (usually fol. by of).
    4. Facetious. using or creating exaggerated or skewed data, information, etc.: creative bookkeeping.

Consultant
    –noun
    1. a person who gives professional or expert advice: a consultant on business methods.
    2. a person who consults someone or something.

Writer/Director/Camera/Editor
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown

Default blip.tv

Another good site for uploading and maintaining quality is http://blip.tv

Might not perhaps be quite as user friendly as vimeo (though not too far off) but Vimeo has upload limit of 500mb per week (which can be too small for some shorts and HD or 16mm/35mm projects unless they're compressed) whereas blip.tv has no upload limits whatsoever so you can (if you have all night) upload very large files.

For diff between music video I put on blip.tv and crappy auld youtube quality see below, I put this up on another thread earlier...

http://blip.tv/file/665685
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bn96jUJXU

One thing I'm having issues with is that the aspect ratio doesn't seem to be cast iron and changes itself between 4:3 and 16:9. This could be my fault and I may have incorrect settings or some such, haven't really investigated it very thoroughly.

Also good comparison link attached outlining the Top 20 video sharing sites so hope it's useful to everyone in finding their favourite...

http://www.fabricoffolly.com/2006/08...tes-rated.html

Rory

Good vid, good song.

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

That comparison of video sharing sites is a touch out of date now. Grouper doesn't exist anymore (turned in Crackle) and the Vimeo weekly limit is 500MB as you mention but that site lists it as only 30Mb a week. Maybe 18 months ago...

Writer/Director/Camera/Editor
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown

Yeah it's a bit dated alright, handy enough all the same just if one needed a couple of pointers as to what exists outside the usuals.

Rory

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Who wants to co-author an article about the best video hosting sites for FmN.ie / Film Ireland / ...?