Thread: Winners

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Default Winners

Best First Feature: Small Engine Repair - Dir. Niall Heery

Best Feature Documentary: The Trials of Darryl Hunt - Dir. Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg

RTE Two Best First Irish Short
    First Place: Joyriders - Dir. Rebecca Daly
    Second Place: The White Dress - Dir. Vanessa Gildea

Best Irish Shorts-Tiernan MacBride Award
    First Place: Nun More Deadly - Dir. David O'sullivan
    Second Place: Venom - Dir. John Hayes
    Special Mention for Orginality - Buail - Dir. Steve Woods

Best Irish Short Documentary
    First Place: Christy ? Dir. Alex Gill
    Second Place: James ? Dir. Fran Apprich
    Special Recommendation: Gn?th Ph?osa ?adach/A Simple Piece of Cloth- Dir. Andrew Freedman

Best Irish Short Animation
    First Place: Demon ? Dir. Eoin Ryan
    Second Place: Badly Drawn Roy? Dir. Alan Shannon
    Special Commendation (in no particular order)
    Pilgrim ? Dir. Matthew Darragh
    Horn OK Please- Dir. Joel Simon

RT? Two Best First Irish Short Animation
    First Place: Big Rock Candy Mountain ? Dir. Ian Kenny
    Second Place: Wednesday ? Dir. Sam Keogh of Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art Design and Technology
    Special Commendation: Noise Interupted ? Dir. Chris O'Hara

The Stella Artois Pitching Award: Mark Wale for Physical Memory Dump.

Default Congratulations to all involved...

Just a quick note to say congrats to all involved in the winning productions. It's impossible to see all the films because there's simply not enough time, but I checked out all the shorts and was well impressed. Very high standard overall.

Apologies for my loud laughter during "Nun More Deadly" - I was the hairy guy near the front who just couldn't stop giggling throughout! Definitely the funniest short I've ever seen - excellently shot and a fantastic script. The ironic "put down the gun - put down the pen" line has been bringing a cheesy grin to my face ever since!

Hats off to Vanessa Gildea for "The White Dress" also. The majority of the shorts shown in that session were comedy orientated and this one was subtle and sensitive in it's treatment of a rarely highlighted social problem. Stuck with me and well worth a look for anyone who missed it.

Also loved "Wednesday" by Sam Keogh - such a simple idea but perfectly executed.

Wish I'd seen more films over the week but there are only a limited numbver of hours in every day! Did anyone catch "Grbavica" by Jasmila Zbanic in the cinemobile on Sunday afternoon. It was such a moving and emotional story.

Anyway, enough rambling. Congrats to all the filmmakers for a really super show and thanks to all involved in the organisation of the festival.

Aaron.