Middletown
    Director: Brian Kirk
    Green Park Films
    Saturday 15th 21.00 Town Hall Theatre

The Front Line
    Director: David Gleeson
    Wide Eye Films
    Sunday 16th 20.30 Town Hall Theatre

I was at the Short Shorts/Frameworks programme and generally they were pretty good. Pilgrim (AKA Fridge) was an excellent animation.

However I was appalled at Rural Myth. It was disgraceful that such a poor script would be funded by the Film Board. It put me in mind of a bad first year film student project. As for the way it was shot/directed/edited/recorded - all extremely poor.

Also - I thought Frameworks was an animation funding scheme. How did The Sphinx receive funding under it when it was all live action?

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Didn't catch the Short Shorts & Frameworks / Short Cuts screenings. But was at the shorts programme on Saturday 10am in Town Hall.

Thought in general the quality was up on last year (not just because my film was on.)

Couple of good ones from the Bray Institute of Further Education that caught me by surprise. Good comic timing in "Duffel Coat".

And "Nun More Deadly" (the Marlowe goes to Waterford on holiday parody) was very entertaining, not rocket science but got good laughs and a deserving winner.
    Last edited by Jason Butler; 21st July 2006 at 12:00.

Yeah. I meant to get in on Saturday morning for that screening but well that Rowing Club is very hard to escape so I didn't get up in time.

My short (Slots) screened on Friday morning but couldn't make it down so had to rely on second hand reports as to how it was received.

Default Slots

Hey Jeff,

I saw "Slots" on Friday - excellent stuff man - really funny. The whole twist of the young wan's Da knocking the place over was brilliant! And the repeatedly gum-chewing teenage girls were excellently cast. One thing though - I saw the women's knickers punchline coming about 2 seconds before it did (resulting in a big belly laugh from me and a look of confusion from those around me!) - apologies if I killed the gag for anyone else out there. Really good short though - the rest of the audience seemed to dig it too.

Anything new in the pipeline?

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Glad you enjoyed it. I really wanted to see it play in front of a festival crowd to see how it went down but alas couldn't make to Galway until Friday evening. It's showing at the Navan festival and will hopefully be screened in Cork too. Also should get a Shortscreen showing some time this year.

I'm currently in post on a very low budget short that I directed while in IADT. Besides that everything is still at script stage. Have a few submissions in, with a few more on the way.

If only I didn't have bills, rent, living expenses to take care of then I could do this full time!

Default Navan...

Hey Jeff - my short "Squelch" is screening right after "Slots" in the Navan Film Festival! SNAP. We'll have to hook up for a beer and a chat afterwards. It's a bit of a hectic schedule, isn't it?

If I'm down I'll definitely give you a shout beforehand. Have to see how work pans out. It's on a Tuesday isn't it?

Yeah, it kicks off at 11pm on Tuesday 15th August, followed by films til 3:30 in the morning?!! Schedule is up on http://www.navanfilmfestival.com/
    I'll have to check out the old days off work sceneario too but will definitely be heading down for 1 if not both days. Pain in the arse that it's not a weekend event to be honest.

Aaron

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

I'll try and make it down but if I can't, do either of you (or anyone else that's going) want some FilmmakersNetwork.ie flyers to hand out?
    Last edited by Jason Butler; 27th July 2006 at 13:47.

Certainly Jay - I'll check to see if I can get the dates off work and hook up with you to collect the flyers if it's all go. Can I get back to you on Monday with confirmation?

Aaron.

Default Navan flyers...

Hi Jay,

Just confirmed the day off with the boss so I'll be able to lash out a few flyers in Navan. I'll be heading up early on the Wednesday morning and spending the whole day there, but won't be able to make the opening on Tuesday. Anyone else heading up? I'm living in Dublin city centre (Capel Street area) if you're around over the weekend I could get the flyers off you then?

Should probably have put this in the Navan Film Fest thread but I was just continuing the disussion here.

Aaron.

Administrator
    Writer / Director
    Dublin City
    Blog Entries

Aaron,
    If you'd like you can PM me your address and I'll pop a bunch of flyers in the post. Might just be easier than arranging to meet?